At the company level, we try and practice several techniques in our interest in internalizing what we preach. We like to say 'try' because we believe responsibility is an ongoing process, and we are always on the move. Here we list some of the initiatives we have taken around us
- We reuse old office paper. We use the backsides of one side printed paper to print our rough documents, and usually print on both sides of fresh sheets. Once the paper is not required anymore, we collect the trash paper and hand them over to a recycling plant. Recycled paper is then used for some promotion material and for our visiting cards.
- Most of our promotion material is electronic (electricity in Nepal is from hydro sources) hence we avoid use of traditional paper based promotion materials, producing them only for special occasions. We regularly stand out when we request people to take our promotional materials only if they will use them.
- We try and save energy in the office. Our offices are deliberately small, hence in the cold months, minimal heating devices heats up our office, and we try to aviod working at night, so as to save energy, as well as give employees well deserved rest.
- We drink water from refillable multiple use jars in our offices
- We avoid plastic bottles as far as we can. Our staff have also resorted to use trekking water bottles for their water supplies in the office
We have some grandoise plans for the future. We have recently joined www.carboncounted.com and aim to calculate the carbon emmissions of all our office, including travelling to and from work, etc. etc. and we will aim to offset the carbon emmisions though planting trees in our carbon offset forests in Nepal and Ghana.
In the long term, we aim for an office that is 'green', uses alternative energy and alternative heating mechanisms for the few cold months in Kathmandu.